When we first bought the house, most floors were exposed plywood and cement. We assume that the bank tore out the carpet in order to reduce the smell, as they were probably badly stained:
Nice wallpaper, right? That didn’t stay long.
So one of the first things we did was ripped out the carpet and replace all the flooring with hardwood. Since the flooring guys were already putting in flooring, we had them add hardwood treads as well. We skipped the hardwood risers to cut down on costs, figuring we can just paint those later…
What we did not expect was for them to leave with the stairs looking like this:
So as we’re scratching our heads as to what to do next, keeping in mind we had a very tight budget (the floors are pretty much the one thing we splurged on and had someone do for us since we would see a nice return when we moved out) I came up with this:
I took thin hardboard, so thin I could cut it with a utility knife, measured each riser and cut out peices of hardboard to tack up to the existing riser.
And this is how I left it for a good year:
Until just recently…
Stay tuned on how I tackled this transformation in my next post!